Diary of a Desert Gal

Book reviews, film reviews, writing exercises, poems, thoughts, musings, etc.

6.13.2005

Today's Poetry Highlight

Today's post is a new poem from Rane Arroyo, kick ass faculty member of kick ass Spalding University. I am to stress that this is "just a first draft." Isn't everything? :) Thanks to Rane for doing the writing exercise and letting me post his poem!


Homesick in Africa
by Rane Arroyo

For a pencil, I’ve a grim horse.
I tell God that I’ll name these days

Peach (yeah, right, in this season of
the red scarf
). Grenades are fruit

ripening despite our prayers.
Feats of running feet, the blur

afterwards, after words. I rein
the handwriting towards the dream

of New York where brooding turns you
into a fleckless bride (one’s sex

is unimportant). For a diary,
the volcano once my heart:

shoot me instead. A flood of blood.
Write, screams St. Augustine, ride.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jae Newman said...

Our mentor is seriously talented. Searingly so.

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home