Diary of a Desert Gal

Book reviews, film reviews, writing exercises, poems, thoughts, musings, etc.

6.16.2005

Random Links'n Stuff

Today is potporri day. I'm including a couple of my favorite links, as well as an article from the newest Poets & Writers that talks about some 'myths' of writing and the creative process. What do you guys think about the article?

http://www.pw.org/mag/0507/galef.htm


a couple of fun websites:

http://www.creativewritingprompts.com/

http://www.rhymezone.com/ (Ok, so many of you may know this one. Fun to play around with)

2 Comments:

Blogger HL said...

Hi Aimee. I read the article on myths, and realized that I still sometimes live by some of them.
And writers or non-writers I have known or still know live by or believe many of them. So many students who believed strongly in "write what you know," for example. As for this one, I do think there's some value in it, if you are not afraid to manipulate what you know for the sake of the poem. So often inexperienced writers stick to the facts, not realizing that even in an autobiographical work, the "I" is a persona. How liberating it was for me to realize/learn that!!!
As far as "creative writing can't be taught" goes --- how come I've learned more about writing poetry in a year as Spalding than in my whole poetry-writing life before that!!! But the people in my poetry group were skeptical of the MFA program (some of them) because they didn't think I would learn anything!!! (I always seem to want to do !!! and ??? in threes).
Thanks for posting the link.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for citing the online sites for prompts and rhymes. I can see that I'm still behind-the-times, relying as I am on printed sources! If I have any hopes of teaching poetry to young people, I had better "get with it" pretty quickly!

Thanks again,
Gwen

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home