Diary of a Desert Gal

Book reviews, film reviews, writing exercises, poems, thoughts, musings, etc.

3.11.2006

Another New Poem and Writing Challenge

Following in tattered sneakers behind a great poem by Maxine Kumin called "Credo":


Credo

I believe in magic. I believe in the beauty
of tiny rain drops as they land gently

in the pool, shimmering like diamonds.
I believe in the greyness of the clouds

and all it reprents as a manifestation
of evil in the world. I believe more

in the silver lining. I believe animals and plants
have souls. Our dog waited over a week

until we returned from a trip to die.
She looked at us, said goodbye, and was gone.

I believe in the healing power of my mother's
homemade turkey soup she makes once a year

after thankgiving, making enough to freeze
for six months. I believe a good heavy rain

cleans more than the air, cars, and sidewalks.
Between man and woman, I believe in electricity

that blinds. I believe that slugs have a purpose
for thier slow, slimy crawl across the earth.

I believe that whoever invented corsets
should be shot. I believe a mother's spit

can clean caked-on grease off a frying pan.
I believe Beethoven's deaf ears were a gift,

his fingers were not fingers, but magic. I believe
I have been here before. I beleive I never left.


The Challenge: Write your own Credo

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My "creed," such as it is:

Credo on a Faithless Morning

Cats are better than people.—Richard Cecil

I believe in the lemon yellow
light, palpable as pale wine,
haloing the coral bean tree.
I believe in strong coffee and knowing

the common names of all trees
in view of my front windows.
I believe a little goes a long way.
I believe in art’s power to fix

things, in friendship, and fucking
in the daylight. Loyalty I believe
in, but not allegiance, not slogan
shouting, even slogans I believe.

I believe in peace and freedom
defined thusly: my inalienable right
to place pencil to paper, mug
to lips, hand to scruff of sleeping

dog’s neck while the ones I love
most sleep in safety. I believe
in the king-sized bed. I do not
believe in safety.

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home