Diary of a Desert Gal

Book reviews, film reviews, writing exercises, poems, thoughts, musings, etc.

3.11.2006

New Poem

ok, just a fun little diddy...



To My First Husband

We were only eight, but we knew what sparks were.
You were just being a good neighbor,

coming to welcome us as we moved in.
I remember I liked your thick mop

of curly brown hair. You stayed for hours
helping me move boxes and unpack.

Within two days, we were playing house,
making my brother play the family dog,

and within a week, before all the pictures
were even hung, we were married. How pure

and right and effortless it all was
to our unformed juvinile minds. We had nothing

but instinct, untapped and raw.
But we knew what we wanted.

Since then, there have been few times
when I have been as sure about things

as I was that day, walking toward you
across the floor in shorts and a tee shirt,

pledging forever, accepting your plastic ring.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my, brings back some old times! You have such wide horizons behind you and ahead of you. I hope to read some more of your past someday...how funny to read about who your 1st husband was! Would you like for me to track him down now? What about who we really thought your husband was going to be?!
I miss you and thanks so much for the call! It IS an awesome poem It's so nice to hear your voice! Hope you can come join us sometime! With any luck not in the heat!

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home